Starting from early history, Inventions are made to soothe the task and reduce the time consumption. This journey starts from inventing wheel to today’s modern developments in all wings.
Transport system is the vital part of humans after the basics needs. In fact, the growth in the economy of a nation is directly associated to the transportation facilities provided to the people as it enhances the commerce and trades.
METRO is the rail transport system provides high speed travel for the commuters in the cites. India’s first and Asia’s 5th METRO is introduced in Kolkata in October 1984. Chennai is the fourth city to introduce METRO to its citizens after Kolkata, Delhi and Bengaluru.
Delhi METRO is flying high in success rate with the record of highest ridership of 25 lakhs passengers travelled in a single day and continuously providing financial profit in every year.
Especially, commuters in cities like Chennai exhaust much time in traveling from home to workplace and vice versa. Although the already launched METRO from Koyembedu to Alandur settles the need of one zone of the people in the city, still it is not fulfilling the demands yet.
On account of this factor, the Chennai METRO Rail Limited (CMRL) is going to instigate the underground METRO from May 14, 2017 onwards for public utility. This METRO covers eight kilometers of line from Chetpet to Koyembedu passing through tunnels with seven underground stations.
This project is going to be the great succour for the commuters of Chennai who are punctured with the crowds in buses and electric train. It saves the considerable time of commuters and this may be used by them productively.
Chennai is the fourth city in India to set- in- motion underground METRO to its people with good amenities like Air Conditioning, Tunnel Ventilation Systems, Route Maps and “Platform Screen Doors” (PSD).These doors are installed for the safety purposes of the passengers. Its features are:
- PSDs are fixed as a measure of crowd control system as passengers will be standing in a queue near the PSDs while the train arrives; otherwise they stand scattered all around the platform and rush into the coach. It is a good Safety precaution measure for the elders and children especially.
- PSDs Improve safety by restricting the access to the tracks and tunnels by passengers. It avoids them coming closer to the tracks unconsciously while talking in the mobile phone, and to protect the unnoticed children moving towards the track.
- Prevent or reduce wind felt by the passengers caused by the piston effect. This is the process happening inside the tunnel when the train moves through a certain space. The train pushes out the air in front of it towards the closet ventilation shaft. At the same moment, the air is sucked into the tunnel from the closet ventilation shaft behind the train.
“An intelligent carries out every activity with safety conscious”.
“Safety measures protect not only our life but our family; our dependents”
It is wiser to follow the safety tips and have a peaceful & safe journey in METRO. Follow these tips:
- Come early and be on-board safely and calmly.
- Stand behind yellow line whenever waiting for the train.
- Stand on queue to avoid rushing into door.
- Never attempt to open or close the door by hand.
- Always stay alert. METRO is quieter in sound. We may not hear it coming.
- At night times, especially women, board on the carriage nearer to driver. Do not travel in the carriages with nobody.
- Do not allow children for playing and skating in the platform
- Elders to be careful when using the elevators, ramps to avoid the skidding.
- Do not run in the station especially in wet weather. Surfaces may be slippery.
- Always follow instructions from workers and authorities.