Behavioral Based Safety implies the meaning of human behavior which proportionate to safety. By assumption, it is termed as the personal feeling of people that influences safety at workplace. Literally, BBS is the application of science of behavioral change to real world problems. Behavioral Based Safety is a process that reduces unsafe behaviors that can lead to incidents occurring in the workplace. The process works by reinforcing safe behavior and identifying the causes of unsafe behavior which demands both the Management and the employee contribution. In other trainings, the management may play a secret role, but BBS highly imparts the management commitment. This training builds the healthy improvement upon the process behavior from both ends.
The major factors that influence the accidents at workplace:
- The human involved in the process
- The Equipment used should be competitive.
- The Environment may draw unfavorable conditions.
- The Management may impose limitations upon the quality resource
The unsafe behaviors at workplace may be as follows:
- Non-usage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) by workmen e.g. eye glasses, hearing protection, gloves, hard hat.
- Incorrect tools for the job/ improper tools and tools in worst condition
- No proper awareness on positioning / protecting body parts, e.g. avoiding line of fire, avoiding pinch points
- Lack of effective training on Material handling e.g. body mechanics while lifting, pushing and pulling, use of assist- devices
- Verbal and non-verbal interactions that affects safety
- Non-compliance of safety procedures e.g. obtaining, complying with permits, following Safe Operating Procedures, lockout, tag-out procedures
- Improper Visual focusing (attentiveness)
- Use of mobile while working
BBS popularized by many companies still remains unrevealed upon its Core Strategies. Behavioral Based safety analyzes what people do, why they do and apply research-supported intervention strategy to improve what people do. Based on study, 80% of industrial accidents got its root cause from the human behavior. The reason may differ upon sabotage behavior and awareness loss of human. NIST offers various services ranging from Fire Safety Training to Taylor Made Process Safety to any specific industry.
NIST’s behavioral safety process highlights the below:
Awareness: to increase understanding and reduce resistance
Management: to lead by example and support the process
Ownership: to increase participation and develop commitment to continuous improvement
Measurement: to provide a pro-active means of measuring daily safety performance
Feedback: to recognize and praise good safety performance and seek understanding of unsafe acts may occur
Analysis: to objectively identify systemic drivers of unsafe behavior and to allow for targeted recommendations for improvement.
Here is the evidence of above scenario. The ’Hiroshima of chemical Industry’, Bhopal Incident affected nearly 500,000 lives and destroyed human civilization over years and decades.
Such pathetic accident could have been avoided if the water supply to the tank of Methyl IsoCynate(MIC) No. 610, if it’s been noticed by human and proper measures have been taken at the right time by the Safety people if they were On-Field. Several investigations report the unsafe behavioral at workplace, due to management’s Cost-Cutting Strategy upon factory maintenance, training the staffs, safety system implementation. The above compliances are evidenced that no alarm or Fire Safety system worked during emergency.
NIST‘s Behavioral Based Safety, focuses on
ü Implementing written lockout programs
ü Installing additional safeguards, and machinery modifications to enable workers to perform tasks outside the hazardous area
ü Posting identification labels on devices
ü Formulating machine/equipment-specific lockout procedures and posting procedures in placards
ü Training appropriate personnel
ü Establishing periodic Audits
Benefits of Behavioral Based Safety
BBS can improve the Confidence Level of human and expertise upon On-site Emergency Preparedness. The healthy environment empowers and ensures the growth of any organization.
NIST specified in Behavioral Based Safety has served many corporate saving the lives and other valuable resources. The above tragedy could be prevented by Behavioral Based Safety which enhances the attitudinal shift of human at workplace.
Outcome of NIST’s Behavioral Based Safety Training at your organization:
- Identify key unsafe behaviors and train employees to avoid incidental loss.
- Enhance your organizational resources and utilize the best on-hand opportunities of your organizational growth through the Safe Work Environment.
- Increases productivity through consistent reduction in work-time losses due to human injuries or illness.
- Improves employee morale which imparts organizational growth.
- Encourages Safe behavior of employees and proportionate to quality employee recruitment.
- Reduces Worker Compensation Claim frequency and severity worth $1 invested yielding $3 to $6.
- Keeps enforcing the legal compliances at workplace
- Healthy safety environment leads to achieve the company goal.
- Imparts Employee engagement upon organizational growth
- Increases profitability through employee involvement
- Communicate management’s commitment to safety
- Forecasts the organizational success through Effective leadership, Established safety systems and processes, Safety involvement teams, Organizational style, Measurement and accountability.
NIST being your Organizational Safety Partner helps achieving your goal though employee contribution and management commitment. NIST’s Behavioral Based Safety Training enhances your employee engagement, increased Productivity and proven profitability, which leads your business through Bench-Marking Strategies. For any queries in terms of Behavioral Based Safety,